Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Nanny Hold-Up

Happy New Year. I love fresh starts and the possibilities they promise. One possibility I would love is a proper vacation at an exotic location with some serious pampering. Right now I'm strapped for cash and time, so am trying to make do with virtual vacationing via the net.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if I had to choose who came with me on a holiday, this is how I would think:
- baby free holiday (yeah, I wish), then definitely the husband. I mean we haven't had our second honeymoon yet!
- holiday with the baby:
   1. hmmmmmmm.....I can take the nanny and spend the whole day at the spa or
   2. I can take the husband (who is a great dad and will definitely make sure I get some time off to relax) but we won't get any couple time, as he's totally devoted to V

I think my holiday dilemma gives people an idea of how attached I am to my nanny. Ok, not my nanny as an individual, but the nanny figure in my life. I totally need her to get through the day, at least 6 days a week. If she has an emergency and calls in the morning to say she can't make it, I completely lose it. That's because I basically have to spend the next hour or so organizing my little one's day and I have to take the second half of the day off from work or work from home with a little voice asking "Mummy if I play quietly will you finish working quickly and be with me?". Then the guilt kicks in and I can't focus.

Since our business is a  start-up, I spend about 10 hours at the office and work 4 hours at home (after the munchkin's bedtime). So in an ideal situation I have a morning nanny who picks V up from school and takes care of her till early evening after which a babysitter takes over till I get home for bath and bedtime.

All this being said and done, I'm currently nannyless and juggling working and babycare with the hubby. Thankfully our babysitter is available in the evenings for her regular shift. I think our desperate straits are common knowledge in the nanny world, along with the fact that we run our own business. Every nanny who comes to us for an interview is asking a salary that's double of what the market currently pays. And the perks! Although at this point I'm pretty open to anything expect the nanny getting into bed with the techie.

On second thoughts, if she finds him attractive would she do the night nappy duty in-exchange and let me have a night of full sleep! Worth thinking about.

4 comments:

  1. a Nanny! Wow, I bet that is amazing!

    Thanks for stopping by on my SITS feature day and making it an amazing one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good nanny is a blessing :-)

    I hope you're having a lovely week, cheers: Evi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine having to truly work from home on a schedule with kids there. I used to work but it was out of the home and we had a daycare home he went to. Maybe it might be easier if you found somewhere that can't cancel on you? Just a solid daycare facility for a few days a week, even part time, on the days that the nanny can't be there? I don't know, everyone's situation is different. A nanny is nice in theory but they sound like too much work for ME as a mother to be honest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for the comment, and I'm so glad you found the Files! If you're interested in the book club and would like to join, please shoot me an email and I'll send you some info: tasteandstyle@yahoo.com

    So sorry to hear of your nanny troubles! I am the eldest of 7 girls, so my mom is quite the busy lady. :)

    XXXO
    M

    Bloggerista Book Club

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from all of you....thanks for letting me know what you think